Monday, March 4, 2019

Writing in local coffee shops!





As a writer, I've become comfortable secluded away in my office tapping away and creating my stories. It's where I find, I am most productive. However, there are times I venture outside and meet my fellow authors to brainstorm the writing process. Many times, we end up inside a local coffee shop. This started me thinking about whether I could, once a month, actually write in a productive way in such a location, and of course, I wanted to write about this adventure.

I decided to choose local coffee shops within a maximum of a 20 mile radius from my home, because I do not want to spend all my time driving to get there.  I want to write!

This first place, I was frothing at the mouth and super eager to visit is right on my doorstep. A mere 15 minute drive.

                                           Battle Ground Coffee Co, Riverwalk, Lawrence.

I was excited to try this place after learning that it's run by a husband and wife team, namely Dana and Salvatore DeFranco. What also piqued my interest was the fact that Salvatore is an ex-Navy SEAL. This stirred my writers mind, especially because I am creating my Bound By Love series which centers around 4 ex-military buddies who rebuild their lives after serving their country.

I felt, I needed to touch base with this entrepreneurial couple, and not only explore my ability to write in their coffee shop, but to discuss their story, and learn more about the challenges they have faced.

Anyway, I visited Battle Grounds Coffee Co's new location which has only been open a few weeks. Their second cafe is a smaller site in Haverhill. The cafĂ© I visited in Lawrence is right on Washington street with ample free parking for up to 90mins. The inside offers a spacious seating area with plenty of tables and seats for customers. They offer a variety of drinks, snacks, and wraps.





I sat at one of the tall tables at the back of the cafe looking out at the front. There were plenty of power outlets on the wall and I powered up ready to write while sipping on my lovely hot chocolate. I had hoped to visit earlier in the day, because that's when I write the most, but I didn't get there until 3 p.m. It was quiet, although a few customers called in for take-out orders, and another table was occupied by a group of local businessmen, so the distractions were kept to a minimum. For the most part, I was happy to sit and attempt to write. But perhaps, because I'm starting a new writing project, or because writing in this environment is new to me, I didn't make much progress, which only served to make me feel frustrated.

                               


I'm thinking, it may be better to spend two hours promoting while I am in a coffee shop because that doesn't require me to switch off completely. I found myself people watching and staring around which doesn't aid my writing. The coffee-shop closed at 5p.m. as part of it's soft opening and by then I was ready to leave, having only jotted some notes about this blog, and not having accomplished my objective for that day, which was to start chapter 2 for Destiny of the Witch.

Next time, I will definitely bring my headphones. I think, however, this is going to take me some time before I feel comfortable.

For those of you that do write in public places, please, share any tips you have learned over time, or stories you're willing to share, I would love to hear them.


A few more facts about Battle Ground Coffee Co, "It's a little bit about serving coffee and a lot about serving your community," I love that even after serving his country, Mr. DeFranco is giving back and helping others making it very much a part of his business philosophy. The strong couple are involved in local initiatives to help battle homelessness among the veterans and host community events in their coffee shop. Needless to say, I will be back and hopefully, I will get the chance to chat with them about how they overcame their challenges together.

"The success of your mission depends on your skill, proficiency, and attention to detail. Start with the right tools."

I also love the fact that Mr. DeFranco acknowledges the important roles his wife and mother have played in his recovery and success. He carried the skills, he learned as a child through his Navy SEAL days and uses it today in his business, quoting mental toughness and resilience which helped him discover the man he has always been even after leaving a career he had hoped to pursue for many years to come.

I wish both Dana and Salvatore DeFranco much continued success and happiness. Please, check out their coffee shops and they have an on-line presence so you can order products from anywhere.   

https://battlecoffee.com/about-us/



          Till next month, when I will be visiting another local coffee place, Cafe Nero in Andover...






















No comments:

Post a Comment