Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Planning and time management...







When I get the time, blogging is a joy! I love sharing my exploits in writing, and connecting with others who are trying to achieve the same goal as me, which is publication, because we can share our trials and tribulations, pick one another up and after a good dusting off, plod on. Sometimes we need a good kick up the proverbial to get us moving again, but it's all good.

Although, I have many tasks that I need to complete I am getting better at compartmentalizing my life, and it is a skill for sure. Learning to say no is a component, and I make no excuses for saying it on many occasions because otherwise, I wouldn't get anything done, and it 's about what's most important in my life and that for me is writing!

Last week, I was re-writing and my brain as it sometimes does, wandered, and I decided out of the blue to enter a critique session which was held on misssnarksfirstvictim.blogspot.com.
This is a blog, that I follow mostly in secret, but with a desire to partake in one of the many competitions and critique sessions that the anonymous writer offers to aspiring writers.

When I get stuck with my writing, this is a great way to ramp things up, and I was having one of those moments. I pulled out an old MS that I really want to go back and finish, and sent in the first 500 words to be critiqued! It was exhilarating. When someone reads my work, I get goose-bumps, queasy tummy, totally freaked out and wait nervously for the news, which isn't always amazing but vital none the less.

Anyway, this is brilliant for those seeking feedback and strong advice! I loved it! After the many comments, I will be writing a scene before this section to explain some of what is happening, but I was thrilled by the in-depth responses and advice I was given, which were mainly to give an introduction about the MC and to what is happening rather than to start with so much mystery !!!



Ella blinked awake as a blast of frigid air caressed her skin, and in the distance, she could hear trickling water. Neither sensation was expected nor normal, that much she knew. Icy-fear snaked its way into her mind as she jerked her chin off the mushy grass and peered at the world from the ground. She was lying semi-prone on the cold, damp earth with grass stuck to her lips. The day usually began in a warm bed, and Aidan was there. Instead frosty kisses from the early-morning   touched her, mostly naked body, and she shivered. She lifted a shaky hand to her head, and groaned as an image of a hysterical and angry Aidan, flashed through her head.
    the hell happened?”   whispered to the wind as if it may answer.
     Ella pushed herself off the grass, but her limbs buckled, and a wave of dizziness
took over threatening to send her crashing to the ground. Searching around, she grabbed onto the nearest tree for support as she vomited. Some of the dizziness lifted, and she wiped the back of her hand across her mouth. The gurgle of water caught her attention, and she turned her head. A couple of feet away was a small sliver of a stream.
    I changed?”
   She staggered towards the water on shaky legs. None of this made sense. Ella was usually prepared, but she was in the middle of a forest with no recollection as to how or why? Each step made her curse, as a pain shot through her chest and limbs. Breathing increased the agony. It was as if she had fought in a great battle and lost. Her head throbbed, and white stars danced before her.
     Just get to the water and drink.      pushed herself forward to the edge of the stream, but her legs gave way, and she sank to her knees. Leaning over, she stared at her reflection in the water.
   a mess,” she gasped. She moved her jaw, and lifted her hand to examine her face.


 
    Her fingers traced the outline of a large, black bruise on her cheek. Dried blood had congealed by her nose, and her hair was a wild mass. One eye was so swollen it was barely open, and although unrecognizable from the bruises and swelling, familiar blue eyes stared at her. She was still Ella Masters.

No comments:

Post a Comment