Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Some handy tips about the query process.



Well, I'm several weeks into the query process and still waiting. To be honest, I've only sent my query off to two publishers, because I really wanted to make sure that what I was sending out was the best I could deliver.

The whole process has felt quite surreal. When I pressed send for the first submission, I felt totally euphoric, then I felt sick to my stomach at the enormity of what I had just done. The next day, I sent another submission and still had the same nervous trepidation.

Since then, I've stopped submitting and have re-examined my query. I have found two incredible sites that have helped me tremendously.

www.agentquery.com/

Not only does this site give you details of agents and their submission requirements, but it has a whole host of resources to use when writing a query. I joined, and I'm researching agents at the present, but I've also been using the Agent Query Connect Forum, and I posted my query there for feedback. Well, the feedback and support has been incredible. The feedback has been honest, informative, and constructive. It's help me no end and I think my query is much stronger.

P.S There's also a forum to get your synopsis critiqued .


The second place, I have to rave about is,

www.linkedin.com

I have become a member and I love it. There are so many groups on this site and I have joined a few to connect with other writers and keep abreast with the whole writing and publishing industry. Did I tell you how much I love it!
Many times, I have started a post relating to log-lines, queries about POV, asking questions about what makes a book a fantasy, and have always, always received feedback. My latest post was titled, What's wrong with this query. The feedback and comments that I received were not only heartfelt, but full of amazing advice and support. I really felt, I wasn't alone in the dark and consuming world of query writing.


Bottom line, there's a wealth of information out there about how to craft your query letter, and you need to check it out, because writing the query is harder than writing the book!

But in connecting with other writers, and obviously checking out their work, you realize that there are so many talented and gifted writers out there, doing exactly the same as you.

At the end of the day, I strive to be the best I can and hopefully one day my work will be published.


That's why I write, because life never works except in retrospect. You can't control life, at least you can control your version.” 
― Chuck PalahniukStranger Than Fiction


No comments:

Post a Comment