Friday, October 4, 2013

Why rejection isn't so bad!


Today, I'm so happy it's Friday because it means I will get a lie in bed tomorrow until maybe eight o'clock, and I really love waking up naturally, rather than to the shrill sound of the buzzer.

Anyway, the reason for this second post this week is because at the end of last week, I received two simple rejections from agents. Their emails were short and succinct. They both basically stated that the market had changed and that based on the writing material I had supplied, they weren't interested enough in the book to ask for more. Ouch!!

Honestly, receiving a rejection, hurts, there's no way of trying to avoid that, and I knew that I would feel disappointed, BUT it is part of the process.



I also have to say that the waiting to hear back from the agents/publishers is worse than the rejection. Once you receive a yay or nay, at least you can go and do something!

Today, I've eaten my whole bar of Nestle's Aero chocolate, later I intend to get a Starbucks coffee, and then I will spend my birthday money from August. I decided when I started submitting that I needed a plan in place for the moment, I started to receive the news. And I think you need to have one. Obviously,  if the news had been better, I would be doing all of the above, but jumping around with a ridiculous grin on my face.

After a long debate with myself,  I decided that when I received a response, regardless of whether it was good or bad, I would spend the day in the same way, because I will savor each activity, look forward to them, and tomorrow will be another day with endless possibilities. I want to keep the dream alive because I love what I do.
         "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." Harry S. Truman.

The above quote is true. If you're a writer getting rejections is part of the course, not everyone will love your work, and if you cannot face them without falling apart, then maybe this isn't for you. In writing my blog, and I try to give some thought to what I write, and how it will affect others. I wasn't sure whether to post anything negative about writing, not wishing to put aspiring writers off, but this is my journey and facing and accepting rejection is something, I have to deal with. It's real and many, many esteemed authors have been rejected.
  1. Sylvia Plath: There certainly isn’t enough genuine talent for us to take notice.
  2. Rudyard Kipling: I’m sorry Mr. Kipling, but you just don’t know how to use the English language.
  3. J. G. Ballard: The author of this book is beyond psychiatric help.
  4. Emily Dickinson: [Your poems] are quite as remarkable for defects as for beauties and are generally devoid of true poetical qualities.
  5. Ernest Hemingway (regarding The Torrents of Spring): It would be extremely rotten taste, to say nothing of being horribly cruel, should we want to publish it.
                     Legendary rejection letter phrases to some of the most famous of writers.

 You either learn from it and get better, carry on regardless or give up. Whilst, I will not pretend there are not dark days for the writer, because there are, I still believe in carrying on and not giving up!!!

And here's why?

Yesterday, I receive my first rejection from a publishing company. Now, I could be all bah, humbug about it, but this time the way it was worded, makes me want to keep trying. The lovely acquisition's editor from this particular publishing firm which shall remain nameless, gave an in-depth analysis of the manuscript. She said enjoyed the characters, their relationships, and the premise of the story.  Happy dance!!!!!  :)   She went on to give me five steps as to how to improve the story and concluded by saying that if I amended it as suggested, she would be more than happy to see it again, should I wish to submit it.    Woot Woot!!!!!   I see that sunshine at the end of the rainbow...

Reading the email, I actually felt some relief because although it's a rejection, I really felt hopeful that one day this story will be published.

Never give up. And most importantly, be true to yourself. Write from your heart, in your own voice, and about what you believe in.
Louise Brown 

Never give up on your dream... because you never know what the Lord can bless you with.
I'm sending out a big wave to my 29 new followers via Feedspot, welcome. Would love to hear from you!!! Although, I'm not sure how to make you visible on my blog yet, I'll work on it.

Also, I need to say thank-you to everyone who reads the blog because the writers world can get lonely, and not everyone wants to hear about the latest goings on inside my stories, but here I am among friends and it's your support that keeps me going.      
 

Off for that coffee, bye for now. xxxx

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the great attitude and the good news. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Liz Michalski.
    I remember watching and listening to you at your debut book signing a while ago, and being in awe. One day!!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete